Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vocals vs. Instruments

NOTE: This blog was published on the date shown at www.TriadLiveMusic.com and is reposted here for archival purposes.  

Chad Kroeger of Nickelback
Mon-Apr20-2010

  Maybe it is because I speak from ignorance since I am not a musician - just a music fan, but I don't understand why groups have to perform their music so loud that it drowns out the vocals and makes the words unintelligible. Now before you go and start saying I'm just an old fart let me just say that I love my music to be loud, but I also like the equilibrium of both the vocals and the instrumentation. Recently I was at the Greene Street Club and heard Chris Stanfield and the Naturals - an energetic show to be sure, but the instrument sound excelled the vocal sound too much and forced me to have to try and lip read the lyrics as he sang.
  Even more recently - last weekend as a matter of fact - I was at the Greensboro Coliseum for the Nickelback show. Both the Sick Puppies and Breaking Benjamin opened for Nickelback. The music was excellent but the vocals were drowned out by the instruments for both opening acts, yet when Nickelback came on stage the balance between instruments and vocals was perfect. I could hear every word of every song as clearly as if he were speaking them and the music was just as clear and pristine and powerful.
  So what exactly is it about performers that they so often way overdo the sound to drown out the vocals? Is it the fault of the personnel working the sound? Do the performers just feel that the instrumentation is so much more important than the vocals? I don't know the answer but I'm thankful that for the butt-load of money I shelled out for Nickelback tickets that they at least had fantastic sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment