Sunday, July 10, 2011

Trial by Fire - the Journey Tribute

  Even though I've seen a couple of tribute bands in the past I've never really understood the whole tribute band phenomenon and so it was that for some time now I had put off going to see Charlotte based Trial by Fire, the Journey tribute band. I had determined a few days ago that I would however go see them at the new Clubhouse in Greensboro which I had not been to since they changed ownership.
  What I got in return for my $10 cover charge though was well worth the money spent. Behind the vocals of lead singer Ernie Shepherd Trial by Fire quickly got the audience into the music, sounding every bit as good as Journey. Shepherd's range easily allowed him to achieve the same sustained high notes made famous by Steve Perry, Journey's front man. Throughout the first and second set the group treated the audience to hit after hit - "Any Way You Want It," "Send Her My Love," "Open Arms," "Lovin', Touchin, Squeezin'," "Stone In Love," "Who's Crying Now," and probably the most requested song of the night - "Lights." As the night progressed I realized I had forgotten just how many hits Journey had.
  The third and final set of the night was given over to mostly repeats of songs performed in the first set, much to the delight and pleasure of the audience who just didn't seem to want to leave.
  On my way home I tried to analyze just what it is about Journey's music that is so powerful that still drives crowds not only to Journey concerts but also to the Journey tribute shows as well - especially women who outnumbered the men last night three to one (I like those odds!). I finally decided it wasn't any one thing in particular, instead it is the total package - well written songs that are played, sung and performed in a coherent, dynamic presentation - just the way Trial by Fire did it last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment