Friday, April 8, 2011

A case for recorded music

NOTE: This blog was published on the date shown at www.TriadLiveMusic.com and is reposted here for archival purposes.  

Tue-Mar22-2011

      Someone asked me the other day why I was promoting recordings on TriadLiveMusic.com since "Live" is such an important focus of the site as exemplified by the use of the word in the website's name. He was referring of course to the new section we've added to the site for album reviews. As I explained to him, live music fans don't want to hear music just on the night they are able to get out and listen to music performed live. Given the opportunity I'm sure most would like to take that music home with them and enjoy it long after "last call" is announced.
  Recorded music is one more way that music fans can help support and encourage their favorite local music performers. It is also a way to help preserve much of the original music coming out of the Triad for future generations of music fans when we are long gone. In writing and interview local performers I often find myself at a disadvantage as they start recounting past experiences with previous bands they've been involved with since the Triad wasn't my home in the 80's and 90's. So much of the local music of that era is unattainable for me and others like me who have since moved here.
  It is only rarely that I get to listen to samples of that music when I come across songs on the web during my research. Such was the case in February as I was researching Sok Monkee's lead singer Dylan Setzer for the February Artist of the Month series. Dylan had at one time been in several other bands and by luck I came across a recording from his group J-Train that I was able to stream over the internet.
  What I wouldn't do to have a CD of Cerebus, Society's Child, The Good and the Bad, or any act from that era.
So when you see or hear about a group having a CD release party/concert be thankful they have made it to a stage in their career that they are able to produce a product that you can put in your music library.

No comments:

Post a Comment