Friday, April 22, 2011

Harlot's Web

  In the spring of 2010 an idea was born when I attended Plum Krazy's annual Spring Fling and saw three different bands that day all fronted by female lead singers. Amazing singers really. Singers who's voices and talents hit me in the gut. Wouldn't it be fantastic to have an all-female band fronted by one or more of these incredibly talented women? For the next few months I mulled it over in my mind, never quite able to get the idea out of my head - and really, I didn't want to. But each of those women were already in a band. What to do, what to do? What if I were to put together an all-female band that would be a side-project, a project that was devoted to a cause and what better cause for an all-female band than breast cancer awareness. The idea stuck with me, caused me to loose sleep at night as I lay thinking about the possibilities.
  Finally I came to a point where I figured I needed to find out if they were interested. Each said they were. I had the singers, now just to find the female band members. In early December 2010 all the pieces seemed to be in place, including a name for the group - Harlot's Web - and practice sessions began. By mid January though it seemed the whole project was falling apart as first one member had to depart and then another until only two were left - lead singer Staci McBeth and drummer Lauren Myers. I was despondent but thankfully Staci and Lauren were committed to the project and wouldn't let it die. With their help guitarist Sharon Davis came on board and original bassist Sal Burnette returned and practice resumed. After the first night of practice it was evident that this lineup was absolutely incredible! They steadfastly progressed, adding song after song to their set list in short order, evolving into an efficacious ensemble of rocker chicks who know how to wrestle the power out of a song and deliver it with force and emotion.
  The presence Harlot's Web has on stage and the high level of musicianship they exhibit would be enough to get audiences through the door, add in the cause they all represent (fighting breast cancer) and venue's will be hard-pressed for room when the doors open. But the poignancy of Harlot's Web is greater than just an all-female band supporting a cause as lead singer Staci McBeth is waging her own personal battle against breast cancer. In the month's since the idea of Harlot's Web first sprouted in my mind I've been blessed to have developed a wonderful friendship with Staci making this band and its' success a very important part of my life.
  Harlot's Web will have their debut as part of a fund raiser for Athena's Fighting Chance, a group dedicated to the cause of finding a cure for Gynecologic Cancer and the Women's Cancer Foundation of Forsyth County. In addition to Harlot's Web, other performers include Ed Clayton, Slawterhaus 5 (featuring Lauren Myers from Easybake and Harlot's Web), and The Burke Street Band! I hope to see you all there, so mark your calenders now!
Harlot's Web is (L-R) Sal Burnette (bass), Sharon Davis (guitar), Lauren Myers (drums) and Staci McBeth (vocals)

No comments:

Post a Comment